Philosophy, Film, Politics, Etc.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

I've Offended Jerry Coyne

He told me not to post on his Website anymore and said I should not call him "Coyne."   Check it out:  LINK.  I guess the use of last names is a touchy subject for some people.  I guess "Dr. Coyne" would have been more appropriate.  "Jerry" is surely too familiar.  Whatever.  I'm sure that's not why I've been kicked off his blog.  He suggested it's because I'm arrogant.  But when I posted again (not having had time to see his initial comment telling me to leave his Website), he suggested that I'm too interested in drawing attention to my response to Sam Harris' Moral Landscape Challenge, though that challenge was the subject of the thread.  And with that, he revoked my posting privileges.

My tone did rub one or two people the wrong way.  I admit, I was not at my most patient or humble.  I wouldn't say I was arrogant, exactly.  I was confident and aggressive, yes, and a little rude, but that's about it.  And I'm not sure my tone was entirely uncalled for.  Nor would I say I led the discussion in unseemly directions.  And yet, I was booted without even being given a warning.  I suspect that if I had exhibited the same tone and made similarly strong posts with arguments that were more congenial to his position, I would not have been booted.  I might have been given a warning, but that's it.  I wish I could say I'm shocked or even surprised, but I'm not.