Philosophy, Film, Politics, Etc.

Friday, August 23, 2013

The Affleckted

afflecktion [ah-flek-shun]
  noun
(of a movie) a condition in which the probability of causing distress and/or disappointment in audiences is significantly increased due to the presence of Ben Affleck.


It's official.  Ben Affleck will be Batman in the sequel to Man of Steel.  It's not that I don't like Ben Affleck.  I think he's fine in slimmer, lighter roles.  But I don't expect him to do wonders as the Caped Crusader.  I don't think he can convey the depth and complexity that Batman requires.  (I'm not sure there's a difference between depth and complexity in this context.  Maybe they're the same.  Or not.  Whatever.)

I didn't see Man Of Steel and I don't intend to. (Zack Snyder and Christopher Nolan?  No, thanks.) And I've had enough Batman for a long while.  So I was not planning on seeing Batman vs. Superman, anyway.  But if Nolan wasn't producing, if they had a different director and most importantly, if they had somebody else to play Batman. . . if they had Nathan Fillion, say . . . well, then I'd be psyched.

You may be asking:  If I don't care so much about Batman vs. Superman, why did I bother coming up with this neologism and posting about it?  Because of Argo, that's why.  I'm still annoyed about Argo.